WIll insurance companies cover the repair of a sewer pipe that is not within the property line?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Castro Valley, CA

Asked on 12/09/2010

WIll insurance companies cover the repair of a sewer pipe that is not within the property line? The sewer line outside of my mom's property line is broken and in need of repair. According to the city,she is responsible for the repair up to the main sewer line. Should her homeowners insurance cover this cost even though it is outside of her property line? Please advise...thank you

Answer given on December 11, 2010

The standard homeowner policy is intended to protect you from “sudden and accidental” damage to the home.  It would not cover a sewer pipe outside of your home, whether or not it is within the property line.  A sewer pipe problem is generally considered a maintenance issue.

If the sewer pipe backs up and/or causes damage to the interior of your home, there would be coverage under the homeowner policy, less your deductible.  However, if there is no damage to the home, then there is no coverage for the sewer pipe. 

You should review the loss with your insurance agent, in the event there is a special endorsement that has been added to your policy, but I would not expect any coverage from your existing policy

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption