Will I get dropped if I filed a claim? I have AM fam and am close with my agent and totaled my car last week due to icy road conditions

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Fitchburg, WI

Asked on 01/20/2017

Will I get dropped if I filed a claim? I have AM fam and am close with my agent and totaled my car last week due to icy road conditions I am 24 years old and drive a 03 Subaru WRX with 100,000 miles on it. When I first got my license in 2008 I had a honda accord and ended up totaling it a few months after getting my license when a deer ran me off the road into a tree. Since then, I got a defective speedometer ticket in 2010 and an OWI in 2015. Should I risk trying to file a claim, try to sell the car as is, or try and part out the car. I am so scared, I need a car for work and I dont know what to do. Please help!!!! (please no lectures about the OWI, I already feel bad enough)

Answer given on January 28, 2017

Your driving activity can be a red flag to your insurance company if you file another claim, but it appears the only “active” item on your record is the OWI in 2015. The 2008 accident is 9 years ago. The defective ticket, presuming it was not considered a speeding ticket or other moving violation, would not be a problem and it is also 6 or 7 years old.If you have collision coverage on your current car, you have been paying for the insurance to protect you in the event of an accident. You should contact your agent or insurance company and file the claim for your car. I’m sure the icy conditions caused several accidents in your area, so it would not appear to be an unusual incident. Once settled your rates will probably go up since you did have an at fault accident. If your car is considered a total loss you may not be happy with the settlement, because you only get the actual cash value of the car as determined by local sales, the Blue Book or other similar determinations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption