Will full coverage insurance cover if someone else drove the car? In NC.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Charlotte, NC

Asked on 05/20/2013

Will full coverage insurance cover if someone else drove the car? In NC. Me and my husband planned a trip to the zoo with some friends, since there was no space in his car for all of us we borrowed my mothers car and in return we let her borrow ours for a few hours. As she was reversing from her parking spot someone beside her was also reversing this person hit her in the front of the car and just sped off, she made a police report and everything, my question is will my husbands full coverage insurance cover that? It was not her fault and there are cameras who caught the hit. He has full coverage with GMAC insurance. She is not on the policy. Not live in household.

Answer given on June 18, 2013

For auto insurance the insurance follows the car. In this case where your mother was using your car, your insurance will pay for the damages, presuming you have collision coverage. There is a deductible that will be applied to the damages, but after that, the insurance will pay.Since your mother is not a resident of your household and is not on your policy, your rates will not be affected. However, it is possible that the accident will show up on your mother’s insurance and her rates could go up. She will need to discuss this with her insurance company.Report the claim to your insurance company and they will walk you through the process to get your car repaired. If the damages are below your deductible, then there will be no coverage for the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption