Will an insurance company generally cover damage caused by a collision while driving with an expired regitstration in the state of Texas?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Austin, TX

Asked on 08/26/2012

Will an insurance company generally cover damage caused by a collision while driving with an expired regitstration in the state of Texas? I was involved in an accident, which damaged my car, with minor damage to the other parties vehicle and am trying to understand if my policy is void as a result of a lapsed registration?

Answer given on August 28, 2012

Auto insurance is not affected by the lack of current registration of a car if you are involved in an accident. There is no bearing for that regarding the accident. If the police were called you could be subject to a ticket for the expired registration but that could be resolved if you get the registration brought up to date.If you caused an accident, call your insurance agent or company and report the claim. The question of registration will not be asked. Give the adjuster your version of the accident. They will then contact the other party and work to settle the claim. If you were at fault then your company will settle for the damages to the other car. If you had little or no damage it is your decision as to whether to fix your car. Your damages may be below the deductible, so no settlement will be available from your insurance company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption