Why am I required to have Flood insurance on a doublewide mobile home that has no mortage and has been elevated 10 ft.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Chocowinity, NC

Asked on 12/02/2010

Why am I required to have Flood insurance on a doublewide mobile home that has no mortage and has been elevated 10 ft. NULL

Answer given on December 03, 2010

It seems odd that you are being required to buy flood insurance since you do not have a mortgage on your mobile home.  However, if you have been flooded out before, and the government, or FEMA, assisted you in the repairs, they may be able to require that you have flood insurance to avoid them having to pay out for repairs in the event of another flood.

You should speak with your insurance agent, to see if they can explain why you must have flood insurance.  They should be able to help you.  It is possible that someone determined that you are in a flood zone and didn’t realize there was no loan on your home.  You may also need to provide proof of the elevation of your home, which may also keep you from being required to have insurance, or it may be able to reduce the costs of the insurance if it is required.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption