Who’s responsibility to repair car if it only carries liability insurance?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Seattle, WA

Asked on 05/18/2012

Who’s responsibility to repair car if it only carries liability insurance? A driver is given permission to drive someone's car, and that car only carries liability insurance, and the driver loses control of car on ice and dents the quarter panel, is it not the responsibility of the owner to deal/pay for the dent out of pocket since they did not carry comprehensive insurance on the vehicle, and they took the risk by letting someone else drive it?

Answer given on May 18, 2012

If your car was in an accident and you did not have collision coverage, then there is no insurance coverage for the damage to your car. This is the case even if someone borrowed your car and they were the one to damage the car.There are ways to get the car fixed. You can ask the driver of the car to pay for the damages. If they refuse, you can go to small claims court to try to get a settlement, but that does not guarantee that the driver will pay you.If the driver has his own insurance, you could try to file a claim with his insurance claiming property damage caused by him. It is a long shot, and the insurance company for the driver could deny the claim.You mentioned not having comprehensive coverage, but comprehensive is the losses such as fire, theft, vandalism or glass breakage. It would not be the coverage for any collision damage to your car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption