Who insurance should the claim go under

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Belleville, MI

Asked on 03/26/2018

Who insurance should the claim go under I backed into a parked car with my dad's truck. no one was in the car but there was damage do to the front grill from the trailer hitch. I was driving so dose the claim go to my insurance or my dads ? WE both have full coverage on both vehicle's.

Answer given on March 30, 2018

Under auto insurance the insurance follows the car. So in this case, since it was your dad’s truck was involved, his insurance is responsible for damages to the parked car.  Unless your dad’s insurance has a limitation on drivers of the vehicle, there should be no problem with this claim. There will be no deductible for damages to the other car, but if there is damage to your dad’s truck there would be a deductible.

If you are not listed as a driver under your dad’s policy, and there is no requirement that all possible drivers be listed, there should be no charge to your dad’s insurance.  If the damage was over $500 or possibly $750 then your insurance could be increased for this accident. You should check with your insurance company about this.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption