Which policy would cover the damage to the car? Homeowners or auto

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Balm, NC

Asked on 02/15/2011

Which policy would cover the damage to the car? Homeowners or auto The strong winds yesterday caused an accident in my garage. I had coolers piled on top of my refrigerator (in garage) and they blew off and damaged the hood of my car. Several dents and scratches. There is also a small chip in the windshield. Do I file this claim under my homeowners policy or my auto policy?

Answer given on February 18, 2011

Any damage to an owned automobile is covered by auto insurance, not homeowner insurance, no matter what the cause of the loss or where it occurred. 

In your case the loss should be covered under the comprehensive portion of the insurance since the cause is falling objects and/or wind.  Generally the deductible for comprehensive is less than for collision, so this may work in your favor.  In addition, comprehensive losses are not chargeable and  do not affect your insurance rates.

Your insurance company may want to claim this is a “collision” loss.  Be sure to not let them use this part of the insurance since it will, probably, cost you more money out of pocket through the deductible portion.  Talk to your insurance agent and make sure they agree with you and have them submit the claim accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption