Which insurance pays…. car or home???

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Las Vegas, NV

Asked on 01/19/2016

Which insurance pays…. car or home??? I am a home owner and a woman hit my wall on the back of my house. She claims her car was struck by another car resulting in her hitting my wall. However the other car fled the scene of the accident. Her insurance isn't paying for the damage done to my wall and now my home owners ins is having to pay and we have to pay the deductible first....

Answer given on January 20, 2016

If someone strikes your home with their car, their auto insurance should pay for the damages. Many insurance companies will deny coverage in the beginning but if you persist, they will often reverse themselves and pay for the damages.However, you can go through your homeowner insurance, which it sounds like you have done, and they will pay for the repairs, less your deductible. After paying for the damages, your insurance company will probably attempt to subrogate, or recover the amount they paid, from the other insurance company. If they are successful, you will get your deductible refunded.If your insurance company does not attempt to recover the money, you can take the other party to small claims court and attempt to recover your deductible. If they do not show up, you will win by default. If they do come, then the courts will have to determine the proper settlement. It seems you have no reason to be forced to pay for damages that you had no control over.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption