When my son moves out, will his car need to be insured only in his name if the car is still in mine and my husbands name?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Lexington, KY

Asked on 07/05/2017

When my son moves out, will his car need to be insured only in his name if the car is still in mine and my husbands name? The car my son drives is currently insured on our plan. Will he have to get a separate plan if he moves out? THe care is only in mine and my husbands name.

Answer given on July 08, 2017

Auto insurance is to be written in the name of the registered owner.  If you and your husband are listed on the title, you can continue to insure the car under your insurance policy. However, you need to have your son listed as the primary driver and his driving record will reflect the premium on the policy. You also need to show the car is garaged at a separate location. If it is in the same state, that is fine, but if you have the car in another state, on a permanent basis, the car then needs to be insured in that state. 

This may be a good time to re-register the car to your son’s name and have him insure it on his own. While this could end up being more expensive, since you will most likely lose any multi car discount, it helps protect you from any liability claim if your son causes an accident, or loans his car to someone else who causes an accident. If the car is still registered to you, then it would be your liability in the event of an accident causing damage and/or injury.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption