when in an accident and the $20000 liabilty coverage isn’t enough to pay the dr. bills, who is responsible and how do you collect?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Beckwith, IA

Asked on 01/28/2013

when in an accident and the $20000 liabilty coverage isn’t enough to pay the dr. bills, who is responsible and how do you collect? NULL

Answer given on January 29, 2013

If you were in an auto accident and the other party is at fault, their liability coverage will pay up to the limits of the policy. It appears that their limit was $20,000. If your injuries exceed that, then you may have to try to see if they have medical payments coverage. If they do, that will pay up to that limit of coverage in addition to the bodily injury limit.If they don’t have medical payments coverage, you can file a claim under your insurance for medical payment coverage if you have that. There is no deductible, and it will not affect your rates. If you don’t have it, see if you have uninsured/underinsured coverage. This is an amount that you can collect on top of what you were paid by the other insurance company, provided your medical bills exceed the other limits. Talk to your insurance company about these coverages and see if you have them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption