When changing Health Insurance companies mid-year, can the deductible paid be transferred in whole or part to the new company?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Evansville, IN

Asked on 08/14/2010

When changing Health Insurance companies mid-year, can the deductible paid be transferred in whole or part to the new company? May 1st, 2010, we started using health insurance provide by husband's company which came with a $6000+ deductible. Beginning August 1st, 2010, the company switched to a different health insurance company with a $6000+ deductible. Can any or all of the deductible paid between May 1st and August 1st to the old insurance be transferred to the new insurance company?

Answer given on August 14, 2010

What you’re looking for is a "prior carrier deductible credit".  It depends on whether or not the new carrier is offering it, but I think most do.  They typically do this for small group plans, but I’m not sure about large group. I


For example, here is a link from Anthem’s website, showing a form to fill out and the procedure.  Your agent or HR person should be able to help with this.  



United has a similar site with similar information, as does Aetna and others.


Bottom line it sounds like they will credit any money that went to the deductible from your prior carrier, IF… and that’s IF the company is under 50 employees.  If you are "large group" as far as the carrier is concerned, you may be out of luck.

Good luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption