What type of compensation will i recieve from being rear ended if my car was previously declared totalled?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 23, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Glendale, AZ

Asked on 09/23/2014

What type of compensation will i recieve from being rear ended if my car was previously declared totalled? My car was considered totalled due to extensive body work damage. IT however would still drive, however i was rear ended and now there is signifficant damage to areas that need repair. What do i do?

Answer given on October 06, 2014

Presuming that you mean your car had the extensive damage BEFORE the accident and had been declared a total loss, then you will most likely not receive any compensation for further damages to the car. If you were paid for the earlier damages to your car then it seems the insurance company would have taken the car as a part of the settlement. If you did not have coverage on your car so you did not receive any money for the damages, it would still be your responsibility to repair the car.Since it had been determine a total loss and repairs were not made, then there is no value to the car as far as the insurance company would be concerned. A total loss is just that- TOTAL.Of course, if you were injured in the accident then the other insurance company will need to pay for your injuries. They may be unwilling to work with you if the current damage to your car caused a part of your injuries.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption