What steps should I take when someone backs up into your parked car?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from San Jose, CA

Asked on 10/19/2012

What steps should I take when someone backs up into your parked car? I was parked in a parking lot and eating lunch at a restaurant. When I am done with my meal I see a note on my car saying she (the driver) backed up into my bumper. She left her contact information, though I have yet to call her. What steps should I take to resolve this issue?Thanks

Answer given on October 23, 2012

If your car was parked and struck by another party who left their insurance information, you should proceed with contacting the other party or their insurance company. If the driver left their insurance information, you should call the insurance company and set up a claim. Hopefully the other party has already reported the incident. If not, the insurance company will need to contact the driver for their statement. The insurance company will then work up an estimate for the repairs to your car. They will also pay for a rental car while your car is being repaired.You can also file a claim through you insurance company and then they will subrogate with the other insurance company for the repairs. However, if you do it that way you will have to pay your deductible for the collision damage and won’t be reinbursed until your company gets repair by the other company. It is usually easier to go through the other company if they are cooperative.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption