What should It

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Gilberts, IL

Asked on 08/26/2011

What should It I was recently involved in an accident and the guy in front of me stopped suddenly and I was just barely able to miss him. While the car behind me hit me from behind and pushed me into him causing 930$ worth of damage. The car who hit me took off while the guy and I stopped and since I had no proof of a hit and run we decided not to call the cops but now I owe the guy the money for his vehicle. What should I do?

Answer given on August 27, 2011

It is always best to call the police if there has been a hit & run involved in an accident. It seems there would be rear end damage to your car, that would confirm the presence of a third party. Even though you did not file a report then, it would be in your best interest to file that report now, so it will be on record.You should also contact your insurance agent and report the claim to them. Give them all of the details so they understand what happened. An insurance adjuster will then contact you for your statement on what happened. You should have a police report number by that time to give to the adjuster.If the other party is aware of the hit & run driver, he can confirm your story. The damage to his car should be paid by your insurance company since your car untimately caused the damages to his. It may be determined that you were not negligent for the accident, and your rates may not be affected.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption