What should i do? My husband had an accident on a motorcycle registered in my name with no insurance

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Batesville, SC

Asked on 11/15/2015

What should i do? My husband had an accident on a motorcycle registered in my name with no insurance My husband and I bought a motorcycle at the beginning of the year that need work done. I put it in my name and went ahead and had it insured under my name as well. We separated a few months ago & I left the motorcycle with him (it still needed work) with the expectation that he would continue paying the insurance until it was ready to drive and then get everything transferred to his name before driving it. Last night he drove it and was in a wreck that was ruled the fault of the other driver. When I went to call my insurance company I found out my policy had been canceled. What should I do?

Answer given on November 18, 2015

If your husband was driving an uninsured vehicle, and was involved in an accident that was not his fault, the other driver’s insurance company should pay for any damages or injuries caused in the accident.While it is illegal to drive an uninsured vehicle, it does not absolve the other driver from being responsible for any damages or injuries in the accident.Since you are the registered owner, you should contact the other driver’s insurance company and file a claim. They may also want to speak with your husband, since he was driving the vehicle, but the settlement will have to be worked out with you.You may also need to get an estimate for the damages to the bike. Since it was in need of repair, you may not get the full value of the bike, or the full damages, but you will get something.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption