What shall I do??

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Belleville, IL

Asked on 05/18/2011

What shall I do?? The girl that lives next door to me car caught on fire and burned down to the metal my car was parked next to her's and my whole right side is burned so bad that i cant even Change my back tire, its mealted on the car.Her insurance said they will not pay for it and my car is not paid off. police would not let me move my car as her was burning the flames were to big. What should I do? No car?

Answer given on May 20, 2011

It sounds like the girl whose car caught fire next to your car didn’t do anything negligent to cause the fire and the damage to your car.  That is why her insurance company is denying any liability for the damage to your car.  Insurance protects her for negligence, so if there is none, her insurance company will not pay.

You say your car is not paid for, so you must have insurance coverage, called comprehensive, on your car.  This would cover the fire damage to your car.  You probably have a deductible, but then your insurance company will pay for the damages, or if the car is a total loss, they will pay you the actual cash value of the car.

You need to call your insurance agent and report the claim.  The insurance company will arrange to have the car towed and the adjuster will determine if the car can be repaired or not.  If it can be repaired, they will work with you on the best way to do so.  Again, you will be responsible for the deductible.  This claim will not increase your rates, so do not hesitate to report this to your insurance agent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption