Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Mastic Beach, NY

Asked on 01/17/2012


Answer given on January 18, 2012

Most homeowners policy do not cover equipment breakdown coverage.  It is normally a business coverage.  In business it protects against breakdowns caused by power surges, mechanical breakdown, motor burnout, boiler damage and operator error. It can pay for:

The cost to repair or replace the damaged equipment Costs associated with the time and labor to repair or replace the equipment Business income losses when a covered breakdown causes a partial or total business interruption Other expenses incurred to limit the loss or speed the restoration The cost to replace the spoiled stock or materials

There are some homeowners policies however that are starting to cover certain parts of the heating and other equipment in the home and calling the coverage “residential equipment breakdown”. In homeowner’s policy it usually protects the home systems you depend on most ― your furnace, air conditioner unit, hot water heater and appliances as well as your home electronics systems such as stereos, TVs and computers.  It must be damaged by a covered cause of loss. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption