What is my responsibility if my insurance doesn’t pay in an accident on private property?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Bowling Green, KY

Asked on 03/31/2012

What is my responsibility if my insurance doesn’t pay in an accident on private property? I had another driver collide with me in the drive where we both work. My insurance said I have an exclusion clause that says it won't pay anything if the car was used for business purposes.. What are my options and responsibility?i haven't heard anything from his insuance or the state, as yet.

Answer given on April 05, 2012

If you were simply driving to work and had a collision in the driveway or parking lot of your job then this would not be business use and the insurance company should accept your claim. If the accident was the fault of the other driver, then you should file a claim against his insurance and see if they will accept liability. If the other driver denies it was his fault, it may be difficult to get them to pay your claim.If you are using your car for business, you need to notify the insurance company. They will charge a higher rate for this use, but then you are covered for accidents while using the car for business. Business use is a wide range of uses, but there are limits on the personal policy if you use it for deliveries or carry people for hire. Make sure you have told your insurance company what the use of the car really is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption