What is best way to transfer insurance and registration on a car jointly owner and insured (has loan). Ex is in Nevada, car is currently in Mass.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from South Weymouth, MA

Asked on 07/21/2013

What is best way to transfer insurance and registration on a car jointly owner and insured (has loan). Ex is in Nevada, car is currently in Mass. The car is jointly owned and has a loan on it. According to divorce decree when car is paid off it is to go to daughter in Massachusetts. Ex husband does not have money to pay off his half of the loan.how do we handle insurance and registration. Currently insured in Nevada

Answer given on January 06, 2014

If a car owner is in one state but the car is in another state, such as a student having a car away at school, the insurance company usually prefers to have the car insured in the state where the car is registered. If the car is registered in Nevada it should be insured there.However, if the car remains full time in the other state, then you should register it there and insure it there. The insurance should be in the name of the registered owners, even if divorced. The bank will most likely require that both owners be shown on the insurance. If the daughter is using the car, she should also be listed as a driver on the policy and the rates will reflect her driving experience and driving record. The owners need to be listed so they are protected in the event of an accident involving the car. Ask your insurance company what they want done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption