What is an O.N.E. policy

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Auburndale, FL

Asked on 06/14/2010

What is an O.N.E. policy I'm starting a property services business working with mortage forclosures one company said i need this type of policy to do business with them no insurance agents I talk seem to know what it is.

Answer given on June 14, 2010

I think what you are referring to is "E & O" insurance, or "Errors and Omissions" insurance.  This is a common type of insurance for people in the personal services industries, such as real estate and mortgage companies.

Many licensing agents require that you carry E & O insurance, which is really a good idea, but not everyone carries it. Coming from a real estate background, I can tell you dozens of stories that could have ended badly for one party or another, and if the agent who sold the house or the mortgage representative messed up, they can be taken to court for monetary damages.

Think of E & O insurance as a professional person’s liability insurance.  For instance, in the mortgage industry, if a mortgage rep mixes up papers, etc. and can be seen as the cause for the deal not getting done, they can be sued.

Just like someone who does physical work on another person’s property usually has liability insurance, it’s a good idea for someone in your business to carry E & O insurance.  Someone will usually require it to work with them, because it provides them with assuarance that there will be financial relief from you in the event it is necessary. 


Best of luck!



IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption