What is a reasonable pain and suffering settlement?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from North Bethesda, MD

Asked on 01/13/2012

What is a reasonable pain and suffering settlement? I was a passenger in a car that was rear-ended. I hit my head and was transported to the hospital for evaluation; released without needing additional treatment and experienced minor injuries - bruising and soreness for several weeks. I did not seek follow-up treatment. My medical bills were around $5,000 and the other party's insurance has offered $1,500 for pain and suffering.

Answer given on January 13, 2012

That sound a little low in my opinion.  There is alot that goes into a claim valuation–including degree of negligence, medical bills and even the value of the claim for the county and state in which you reside. Read our article How to Value Accident Settlements. This may help you determine a more accurate value. You can always go back to the insurance company with a counter offer as their first offers are always their lowest.  Start at your high end and work towards the middle.  If you do not feel comfortable working with the insurance adjuster on your own, consider consulting an expert injury attorney that can help you with the valuation of the claim as well as help you get the settlement you deserve.  Click here to find an attorney in your area.    

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption