What insurance can I have to be allowed to drive a car already insured?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Meriden, MN

Asked on 11/25/2015

What insurance can I have to be allowed to drive a car already insured? Currently my grandma and I bought a newer car, she is main loan holder and I'm 2nd.. The car is covered under her very thorough policy. I am the main driver and live at a different address and currently have no policy for myself. If I get a basic policy or get added to my fiances policy which covers our other car we bought together, would I be okay to drive? We live in Minnesota for a no fault state also.

Answer given on November 25, 2015

If you are a co owner of a car and you are on the title, you should be added to the existing policy that your grandmother has. If you have a good driving record, and are over 25, you will have little effect on the cost of the insurance that your grandmother carries. You will both be protected if there is an accident. The insurance should be rated on the location of the vehicle, so you can use one mailing address, but the garaging location should be where the car is kept most of the time. By being on your grandmother’s insurance, you will also be covered if you drive anyone else’s car, such as your fiance. However, insurance follows the car, so the insurance on any other car would come first if there were an accident.Get a quote to be added to your grandmother’s policy, just to be sure you won’t have a major effect on the cost of the insurance policy, but this is really the correct way to get the insurance done on the co owned car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption