What if we don’t necessarily want to replace everything that the insurance is covering?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 30, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Chelsea, MA

Asked on 07/30/2013

What if we don’t necessarily want to replace everything that the insurance is covering? For a flooding claim, they covered baseboards that we don't actually want to replace. Would we forfeit the money earmarked for those repairs if we don't replace them, or do we get the money for the repairs either way? Thanks!

Answer given on October 21, 2013

Each homeowner insurance company handles the settlement of claims in their own manner.Usually they will send an adjuster out to make an estimate. They will then have you find a contractor to make the repairs. The company may ask for an estimate from the contractor and make the check payable to them. If the contractor provides a different estimate that is higher then they and the insurance company will negotiate the repairs. Sometimes the check will be sent to you for the repairs. If you get the repairs made for less than the estimate you can usually keep the money, unless the insurance company asks for an accounting of the repairs.It is also possible that the insurance company will make the check to you and your mortgage company. You will then need to have the bank sign off on the repairs. This is a more complicated way for a claim settlement way to go since it is hard to work with the bank.Ask your adjuster how they will issue the repair check before you decide upon what you will be doing for the repairs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption