what if car is not registered to poilcy holder?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Beaukiss, TX

Asked on 10/25/2011

what if car is not registered to poilcy holder? a friend of mine has had geico auto insurance for over a yearnow. he filed a claim for some damage to his vehicle recently but hasnot transferred the title to his name (he informally bought the vehiclefrom his friend/boss and recently paid it off through work andpayments). what does he need to do to in order to provide proof ofownership to the adjuster assigned to the case?

Answer given on October 25, 2011

You should always transfer title on a car you buy as soon as possible. This prevents problems in the event of a claim and it releases the previous owner from any liability. The seller should have allowed the transfer and asked to be added as lender so there would not be any problems.In this case, your friend will need to show the adjuster proof that he has been making payments on the car and that it was recently paid in full. The seller should also provide a bill of sale on the car, using the original date that the car was to go to the buyer. Even though the transfer wasn’t made to DMV this should show proof that your friend was, or had, actually purchased the car.Hopefully the adjuster will be cooperative in handling the claim, since your friend has paid the insurance and has been using the car. However, they could deny the claim. If that occurs, ask to speak to a supervisor to see if they will accept that the buyer was actually the owner of the vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption