What I need to do about getting my car Repaired

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Greenville, MS

Asked on 09/08/2012

What I need to do about getting my car Repaired I was hit on the leftside,driver stated he didn't see me,also stated the car wasn't his&he didn't kno if the car was insured, officer than contact the owner &he stated he was covered&he would bring the information after he got off work but it wasn't in the accident report ...

Answer given on September 08, 2012

If you were hit by another driver but can’t find the information on the other driver’s insurance, your best bet would be to file a claim with your insurance company. If you have collision insurance, then your insurance company will pay for the damages, less your deductible. Then they will find the inforamation on the other driver’s insurance and they will subrogate against them for the damages. If successful, thenyou will get your deductible back.If you don’t have collision insurance, or the damage is below your deductible, then you need to talk to the police department about getting the information on the owner of the car so you can file a claim for the damages. Even if the information is not in the police report, the officer should have the contact information on the other car’s owner.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption