what happens if someone wrecks your car while your the passanger,does there insurance have to pay an injury claim if your hurt

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Allentown, PA

Asked on 03/15/2011

what happens if someone wrecks your car while your the passanger,does there insurance have to pay an injury claim if your hurt does the driver of your cars auto insurance have to pay for injuries you sustain from the auto accident?

Answer given on March 16, 2011

If you are in an accident that is caused by someone else, the insurance on that car should pay for your injuries. 

The auto insurance policy provides bodily injury liability coverage which would pay for your injuries.  The limits of liability can vary greatly, depending upon what limits were purchased by the car owner.  If the limits are not sufficient to pay for your injuries, there are other avenues to get additional coverage.  The first would be medical payments coverage under your auto insurance policy.  This will pay up to the limit shown for injuries in an accident. 

If you do not have medical payments coverage, or it is not enough, you would also be able to access your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.  This will pay for injuries if the other party either does not have any insurance, or it is not enough.

Talk to your insurance agent if the driver’s insurance is not enough to pay for your injuries

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption