what documents required for Car Transfer?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Beaver Creek, OH

Asked on 06/16/2010

what documents required for Car Transfer? I am planning to buy a car from my friend who stays in Detroit and use the car in dayton. What all documents to be collected from seller?What documents required to get transfered to my name?I am Non-US citizen, holding Passport and International Driving License from my country (India).Please reply.

Answer given on June 30, 2010

Car transfers are really not an insurance issue, but insurance is involved in an ownership transfer.  Each state is different, but I would presume that a bill of sale for the amount paid for the car will be needed. Some states also require the mileage on the car.  You should talk to the Dept of Motor Vehicles in the state where you will be registering the car.

You will also need to have proof of insurance for the car you are purchasing.  Some insurance companies do not accept Internation Driver’s Licenses to obtain insurance in the U.S.  You should speak with a company to see if you can obtain insurance that way.  International licenses do not provide the insurance company with your driving record or list of accidents.   You may be required to obtain a local driver’s license.  If one company will not write your insurance, be sure to shop around.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption