What do i do when the person who hit me denies the accident happened so his insurance refuses to pay?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Four Corners, WA

Asked on 03/02/2013

What do i do when the person who hit me denies the accident happened so his insurance refuses to pay? My vehicle was struck by stuff that flew out of the vehicle that was driving in front of me. I called and filed a claim with his insurance company and a week later when i finally heard back from the insurance company i was informed that they had not been able to make contact with him yet to verify this actually happened. They then said if they are unable to make contact with him or he denies the accident happened they will not be paying. I then asked if that still applied if i had a police report saying this happened they said yes. Is this true? Can they actually do that?

Answer given on March 05, 2013

If your vehicle was damaged by objects that came off of another driver then the insurance for the other jparty should pay for the repairs to your vehicle. The other insurance company does have to speak to their insured to get their statement on the accident. If the other party refuses to return their calls, it makes it very diffecult to get the claim resolved.If you do have a police report send a copy to the other insurance company showing the other driver was at the scene and caused the accident. That may encourge the company to continue to try to contact their client.If you have collision coverage, contact your insurance company and see if the damages exceed your deductible. If so, have your insurance company repair your vehicle. They will then go after the other insurance company to reimburse them for the repairs. If your insurance company is successful you will get your deductible back.The final option is to sue the other driver in small claims court for your damages. The insurance company will need to defend the other driver and if they lose they must pay for your repairs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption