What can I do after my insurance was cancelled if an accident happened after cancellation?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from White Plains, NY

Asked on 06/12/2014

What can I do after my insurance was cancelled if an accident happened after cancellation? My father has two policies and the agent wrongly took my payment for my father's car policy instead of mine. I walked out of the agent's office thinking I had made a payment for my policy on 05/06/2014 but the agent misplaced the payment into my father's policy. I received my cancellation notice from 05/25 today 06/12 and the accident happened on 05/26/14.

Answer given on June 25, 2014

If the insurance agent improperly applied your payment to the wrong policy, then they should be able to correct the payment and get your insurance reinstated back to the date of cancellation. You need to go in to see your agent and have them correct the issue. If you have already spoken to your agent, then they should be working on fixing this issue so your insurance will be reinstated and the accident covered. You may need to keep following up, as this process could be slow. Make sure the agent acknowledges they misapplied the payment.You should also contact the adjuster on your claim and tell them to contact your agent and that they misapplied the premium payment and they are correcting it. The adjuster should be willing to call the agent to work this out. Ask them to continue processing the claim while the error is corrected.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption