What Are The Basic Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage?
Free Insurance Quote Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Sep 15, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.
We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.
The basic types of auto insurance coverages are:
1. bodily injury liability, which provides coverage for bodily injury claims from the people you might injure in an accident
2. property damage liability, which covers any property damages to third parties — such as another person’s car you damage — which you cause or are responsible for
3. medical payments to the policy owner and other passengers in the policy owner’s car
4. uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage, which protects you when the negligent driver has no insurance or insufficient insurance (in most states, this covers only bodily injury losses — though some states also include property damage losses)
5. physical damage covers damage to your car
a. collision, which covers losses to your car when you are involved in a collision
b. comprehensive, which covers most non-collision physical damage to your car (if your car is damaged in a storm, or a windshield breaks, for example).