What are my options to get compensated for damages to my vehicle after an accident caused by an uninsured driver with a suspended license in FL?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Bal Harbour, FL

Asked on 12/18/2012

What are my options to get compensated for damages to my vehicle after an accident caused by an uninsured driver with a suspended license in FL? Uninsured driver stated he had coverage at the scene. We have a police report and he was cited for the accident and driving with a suspended license. No personal injury. Three vehicles involved. Uninsured driver rear ended the car behind ours, which then hit and damaged our car.

Answer given on December 28, 2012

If you were in an auto accident with an uninsured driver, then you will need to file a claim with your insurance company, presuming you have collision insurance on your car. The deductible for collision will apply. They may try to collect the amount paid out from the other driver, but it may be difficult to do so, since they may be difficult to find, and they probably don’t have the money to pay for the damages. However, if they are successful, you will get your deductible refunded. Also, if you have uninsured motorist property damage coverage, your deductible may be reimbursed previding that you have the information on the other driver.If you do not have collision insurance, you have the option of going to small claims court to try to get reimbursed for your damages. Since the accident was not your fault, your rates for insurance will not be affected, even if your insurance company pays for your damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption