we carry and pay insurance on our son’s car, my husband is refusing to give our son proof of insurance card…even though it has coverage…

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Le Sueur, MN

Asked on 09/04/2011

we carry and pay insurance on our son’s car, my husband is refusing to give our son proof of insurance card…even though it has coverage… is that right or legal

Answer given on September 07, 2011

Most states require the owner of a car to carry proof of insurance. If they do not have proof, they can receive a ticket and may have to appear in court and then show proof of insurance. I don’t know about the legality of his refusal to give the card to your son, but it does not seem right, unless he is expecting your son to pay for the insurance and he is holding the card as “hostage” or collateral for the payment.It seems odd that your husband will not give your son the proof of insurance card for him to carry in the car, but your son should be able to contact his agent or company and request a copy be sent to him. They may be able to email the proof or fax it to your son at a different number or address so he can get the proof of insurance. Maybe your son needs to change the mailing address for the insurance policy and pay the premium on his own.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption