Water Damage in the state of New Jersey

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Masonville, NJ

Asked on 06/13/2012

Water Damage in the state of New Jersey Are their endorsements or riders for water backup,foundation and slow leaks.

Answer given on June 19, 2012

Almost every homeowner insurance policy has limitations due to various types of water damage. Flood coverage is excluded. You can purchase a separate flood policy from FEMA, and it is required by lenders if you are in a designated flood zone.For other water damage claims, there are restrictions. It is best to ask your agent to explain the limitations, but there are some coverages such as some back-up of water and pipe damage.If your toilet backs up and overflows causing water damage, the homeowner polciy will usually cover this type of loss. If a pipe breaks in the house, then the damage due to water is covered, but the repair to the actual pipe is not. However, the cost to open the walls to get to the pipe is usually covered.Seepage damage, or an undetected leak that causes wet or dry rot is generally excluded from the policy. Losses occurring over a period of time are not considered “sudden and accidental”, so they are excluded.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption