Using inlaws insurance

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Brooklyn, NY

Asked on 12/30/2011

Using inlaws insurance The car is registered on my father in-law name, he also has insurance just on him. Is it ok for me to drive the car sometimes even if I am not on his policy. If he puts my wife on his policy,can I still drive the car sometimes or he MUST put us both on the policy - because me and my wife are same household and live under one roof (separate from in-laws) ?

Answer given on December 30, 2011

Most car insurance policy allow for permissive use.  That is, if you have permission to use the car, you are covered.  In which case, the insurance follows the vehicle.  Therefore your father-in-law’s insurance would pay.  However, if you are going to be using the vehicle all the time, you should be listed as a driver on the policy to make sure you are totally covered in case of accidents.  He may can have the car , the insurance and the tags, registered at the garaged location (your address).  Then list you and your wife as additional drivers on the policy.  Adding two drivers of course will cost more.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption