Unhappy with service after making a claim

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: May 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Buffalo, NY

Asked on 05/27/2011

Unhappy with service after making a claim I just purchased property from my mom's estate which I have been living in for the past 2 yrs. Put in a claim through estate policy for damage but have been getting extreme avoidance by adjuster and runaround. Service is abominable. I have also been client of same ins co for over 20 yrs. Because I purchased the property and it became mine 3 days after making claim, I have property ins with same co. Even though there is a claim made on property through estate policy, can I change my insurance coverage to a different company for the same property because I am so unhappy with the service?

Answer given on May 28, 2011

When there is a claim so close to a change in ownership, there can be confusion and investigation by the insurance company to determine the actual time of loss and to whom the payment should be made.  It is unfortunate of the timing of your loss, but it should not prevent the company from paying the claim, presuming it is verifiable.  If you are continuing to have trouble with the company I suggest you talk to your agent.  If that is not an option, you should ask to speak to a supervisor at the insurance company to see if they can be of assistance.

You can always change your insurance company, but with the loss, it may be difficult, or there may be a surcharge on the new policy.  Even though you were not the named insured at the time, you indicate that you were living at the location, so the claim can be considered your claim.  I suggest you speak to an agent who represents several insurance companies (an independent agent) to see what options they can provide you.  It may be in your best interests to wait before moving your insurance, since it may remain less expensive to stay with the current company, presuming they settle the claim to your satisfaction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption