Two of my friends were wrestling for fun on my property, one of them accidentally broke his arm. Will my homeowners insurance have to pay for it?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Casper, WY

Asked on 09/17/2011

Two of my friends were wrestling for fun on my property, one of them accidentally broke his arm. Will my homeowners insurance have to pay for it? And will i have to pay anything out of my pocket?

Answer given on September 18, 2011

When an injury occurs on your property, you may be considered liable for the injuries if you were negligent in any way. If your friend feels you were responsible, he can sue you for his injuries. He may also sue the other person for causing the injury.Your homeowner policy will defend you if you are sued and will pay for the settlement if you are found responsible. It does not appear that you were negligent, but that may have to be determined in court or in a settlement meeting between your insurance company and the other party. If it is determined you have responsibility there is no deductible for this coverage, so you would not have to pay anything out of pocket.Your homeowner policy also provides for medical payments coverage to persons on your property. No negligence or suit is required for a payment to be made under this insurance. You may want to check with your insurance agent and see if you can pay for some of the costs for the injury under this part of your insurance. Again, there is no deductible and it may be all that will be needed to settle this issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption