Tree roots grew into the plumbing drainage system. Is the repair typically covered by homeowners insurance?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Bradenton, FL

Asked on 10/03/2012

Tree roots grew into the plumbing drainage system. Is the repair typically covered by homeowners insurance? Thank you

Answer given on October 25, 2012

Tree roots that grow into the plumbing system of a home is not covered by the homeowner insurance policy. This type of loss is considered a maintenance issue. The homeowner insurance policy is intended to protect you against a sudden and accidental loss, such as a fire, storm damage, vandalism to name a few. While back up of water is sometimes covered, it is for a sudden loss from the sewer system of the town, or an overflowing toilet or tub.If the tree roots caused damage to the interior of the home, or to your personal property, the homeowner insurance will cover that damage, less your deductible. If you have interior damage, get an estimate for that damage and if it is over your deductible, talk to your insurance agent. However, make sure the loss is great enough to warrant submitting a claim, since you may lose your claim free discount

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption