Switched insurers, just discovered damage. Who should I file a claim with?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Irwin, PA

Asked on 10/02/2011

Switched insurers, just discovered damage. Who should I file a claim with? I switched insurance companies in June 2011. I also just discovered I have hail damage to my roof that occurred in March 2011 when a tornado went through our area. Who should I file a claim with? The company that I was insured under when the damage occurred? Or my current insurance company?

Answer given on October 06, 2011

You should file the claim with the company that you were insured with in March of 2011.  When you report the claim, they will ask you for the date of loss.  If you report it to your insurance company you have today, they will tell you that you did not have coverage with them for that date.  Let your old carrier know that this damage was due to the tornado. There are two types of policies “occurrence made and claim made” policies. Most homeowners and auto are occurrence policy, meaning the policy enforce at the time of the occurrence happened would pay.  Contact your old carrier and advise them you would like to file a claim for that date of loss.     

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and FreeAdvice.com AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of FreeAdvice.com nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although FreeAdvice.com has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on AttorneyPages.com to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption