Supplement paid up policy issued to me in 1970

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Nov 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Holiday Hills, IL

Asked on 11/22/2011

Supplement paid up policy issued to me in 1970 My exhusband recently passed away, and left a supplement paid up policy in my name. I sent back the forms to the insurance company over a month ago, and have called for the status of that policy. I am still waiting. The insurance co. paid out the original claim to his present wife within the norm of 10 days.Apparantly this supplement was forgotten until his death. What could possibly be the problem w hy is it taking so long? Is there interest on the face value that accumulates?

Answer given on November 23, 2011

Write the insurance company a letter asking for status in writing of your claim to the death benefit to which you are the beneficiary. Advise them in the letter the date you sent your paper work back to them.  Request when they expect to make payment on the claim and to be advise of any reason for the delay in payment.  It could be your death benefit is being contested.  It could be that they are just slow in payment.  If you still find that you are not getting a response, contact your Department of Insurance for your state and file a complaint.  Advise that you feel that they are delaying your payment in bad faith.  Make sure you copy the insurance company on your complaint.  If you still feel you are not making any progress on receiving you death benefit, you may need a lawyer to intervene.  Click here to find a lawyer in your area that will be able to work on your behalf to get your death benefit claim resolved.    

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption