Someone rented a U-Haul truck to help my newly tenant to move in but while in the process of moving them in he backed into the fence

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Dallas, TX

Asked on 03/09/2012

Someone rented a U-Haul truck to help my newly tenant to move in but while in the process of moving them in he backed into the fence Is he responsible for the damages or is U-haul trucking company responsible?

Answer given on March 11, 2012

If someone rents a trailer to be used with a vehicle, the insurance for any damages caused by the trailer while attached to the car, will be covered by the car insurance of the driver. It is automatic coverage by almost every insurance company for this type of damage.Have the owner of the car file a report with his insurance company. This type of damage is covered under the property damage coverage of the policy and there is no deductible for the driver to pay. However, depending upon the amount of damage, it could be s chargeable accident and his insurance rates could go up. He may want to pay for the damages himself rather than reporting to his insurance company. You do not have to accept this, but if he pays the full cost of the repairs, you should not have any concern as to who pays for the damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption