Single car accident

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Elk Grove, CA

Asked on 08/23/2011

Single car accident I jumped a curb and wrecked the front end under carraige. It messed up my alignment. I also hit a pole, which messed up some paint and minor body work. Would this be covered on my insurance?

Answer given on August 26, 2011

Presuming you have collision insurance, your policy will pay for the damages to your car, less your deductible. It should include the realignment, since that is a part of the loss. The policy will also pay for damage to the pole. This will be covered under your property damage insurance, and there is no deductible for this coverage.Your insurance rates will probably increase due to the accident, but the damages sound like they are significant so I do recommend that you report the claim. That is why you purchase insurance.Call your insurance agent to report the incident. They will assist you in finding a repair facility, or, of couse you can choose your own repair place. The adjuster can also help you find a repair facility.Also, if the damages are over $750, you are required to report the claim to the DMV. Your agent, or the insurance company, can provide you with this form. You are expected to file this report within 10 days of the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption