Should my insurance pay for damage to a vehicle on someone elses property when a chair from my house was blown into their vehicle, causing damage?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 31, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Richlands, NC

Asked on 01/31/2013

Should my insurance pay for damage to a vehicle on someone elses property when a chair from my house was blown into their vehicle, causing damage? NULL

Answer given on November 17, 2013

Homeowner insurance protects you if you cause damage to someone else’s property due to your negligence. If your property, the chair, was blown into the car due to high winds, there is no negligence on your part for the wind. The neighbor should have coverage under their insurance for the damage to their car. If their insurance company thinks there is negligence, they would contact you for the cost of the repairs, but it is unlikely they will do so.If the neighbor does not have insurance coverage, you may be able to pay for all or part of the damage under the “property damage to others” under your homeowner policy, This is usually a limit of $500-$1,000 but it does not require you to have been legally liable for the damages. By doing this, you could appease your neighbor at no cost to you. However, make sure your insurance rates will not be affected if you file this claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption