Should me auto insurance cover a non-collision accident?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Lebanon, PA

Asked on 01/23/2016

Should me auto insurance cover a non-collision accident? On 1/12/16, I skidded on ice and rolled my car. It is totaled, but my insurance said that since I did not carry collision they will not cover the accident.

Answer given on January 24, 2016

When you purchase auto insurance, it is your decision as to what coverages you decide to purchase. By law, you must have liability insurance to at least the minimum required by your state. That may be anywhere from $5/10 bodily injury and $5k property damage and up. You can purchase higher limits to protect your personal assets.You may also purchase comprehensive coverage which covers you for damages due to fire, theft, vandalism, collision with an animal and other incidents. There is usually a deductible for this. You may also purchase collision coverage which protects you if you collide with another vehicle or object. This too has a deductible. Skidding on ice and rolling your car would be considered a collision. Since you apparently did not purchase collision coverage, your insurance company will not pay for the damages to your car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption