Should it cover the damage done to my car?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Brookville, OH

Asked on 10/23/2017

Should it cover the damage done to my car? I am a student driver in the 11th grade. This morning I drove to school and as I came up to the school light a person across the intersection did NOT have their turn signal on but was in the turn lane. I had the right of way but as I was turning, the other car turned at the same time causing a collision. My parents said that I have full coverage but I’m not sure what that means?

Answer given on October 23, 2017

If you were involved in a collision and the determination of who was at fault is in question, it will be decided by the insurance companies.  Even though the other party did not have a turn signal, you acknowledge that they were in the turn lane.  You determined you had the right of way, but that is open to discussion depending upon someone turning left or right and the traffic light. It may be determined that you will each be considered 50% at fault and the insurance companies will pay for the damage to each of their insured’s cars.

Full coverage in insurance means that you not only have liability coverage but also collision coverage  and comprehensive coverage. In this case, if you are at fault, the insurance company will pay for the damages to the other car under the liability portion and your car will be covered under the collision portion, subject to the deductible. If you are determined to be at fault then your insurance rates will most likely go up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption