Should I pay for my car repair or claim my own car collision with $500 deductible to fix the damages on my car?

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Torrance, CA

Asked on 08/26/2011

Should I pay for my car repair or claim my own car collision with $500 deductible to fix the damages on my car? My car was in a 2 cars accident on 8/08/11 and both carried the same company insurance. On 8/19/11 the insurance examiner send us a letter stating that: "the driver of your vehicle was found to be NOT at fault". When I asked for arrangement to repair my car, the examiner told me to pay for my repair or use my own car insurance with collision deductible of $500 although it was NOT my fault. She also said that the other car that caused the accident won't pay to repair my car.

Answer given on August 27, 2011

You say that you both have the same insurance company, so this should be fairly easy to resolve. If it was determined that you were not at fault in the accident, then you should not have to go through your insurance to repair your car.Even though it is the same insurance company, there are usually two adjusters assigned to the claim – one for each policyholder. If the adjuster you spoke to is for the other party, call your adjuster and see if he can help you get your car repaired through the other party’s insurance, thus avoiding your deductible.You might also ask your agent to help you work with the adjusters to get your car repaired. If that is unsuccessful, ask to speak with a supervisor in the claims unit. They may be able to get this resolved through the correct policy. It seems there is a miscommunication between the adjusters and this should be resolved to your satisfaction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption