should adding a hazard policy to a home ins.entitle the family of deceased to part of ins.that goes to homeowners family’

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Aug 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Aberdeen, MS

Asked on 08/09/2011

should adding a hazard policy to a home ins.entitle the family of deceased to part of ins.that goes to homeowners family’ The lady married my elderly father.After he died she was to live there,upkeep pay ins.etc? She added a hazard policy to ins.which was destroyed by a tornado.The home reverted to us after her death,does this hazard policy entitle her family to part of the ins.and how much?

Answer given on August 10, 2011

The homeowner policy on your property would have been in the name of the titled owner. Since she had lifetime use of the home, the title would have most likely been in the name of your father and/or the trust, unless she was given title to the home. In that case, the policy would have been in her name.You need to determine the actual named insured on the policy and how title was on the home. This will determine who will get the settlement for the home. If in your father’s name and/or his trust, then the trustees of the trust or heirs to his estate would be paid the insurance proceeds. If it was in his wife’s name, then the settlement would be paid to her heirs.You should talk to the insurance agent who wrote the policy. They should be able to tell you who the named insured was. You may need to consult an attorney to resolve the settlement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption