settlement pay out

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Central Lakes, MN

Asked on 12/02/2015

settlement pay out I bought a vehicle from my uncle and didn't get the title transferred yet. Vehicle was struck and totaled by a wreckless driver a couple of weeks ago. Was deemed a total loss by State Farm. Will they send the settlement check to me or my uncle if my name isn't on the title?

Answer given on December 03, 2015

In an instance where a car has recently been purchased but the title has not yet transferred, the insurance company for the other driver will most likely make the check out to the registered owner of the car.You can talk to the insurance company and if you have proof that you bought the car, such as a bill of sale or contract, they may be willing to pay you instead of your uncle. If not, your uncle should be willing to either sign the check over to you, or deposit it in his account and write a check to you for the amount.It is always in your best interests to retitle a car that you have purchased as soon as possible to avoid this type of situation. Since this involves a relative it should work out, but if it had been a third party, you may have lost out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption