reporting an accident that happened three days ago

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Grand Rapids, MI

Asked on 03/28/2016

reporting an accident that happened three days ago My question is, my husband backed into my neighbors car while pulling our of our driveway. We called them right away because they were not home and told them what happened and agreed to talk about it when they got home. My husband told them to get an estimate and we would pay for all the damages, but our neighbor would now like us to submit it to our insurance company. So will we need to get a police report? and will they give one more than three days after the accident happened

Answer given on March 29, 2016

If you backed into another person’s unoccupied car, you do have the option of paying for the repairs yourself. It is unclear why the neighbor wants you to report the incident to your insurance company, but you can do that if you wish.A police report is not required for any incident on private property and would not really serve much purpose in this case.If the damage to the other car is under a certain amount, usually $500-$750 the claim should not affect your insurance rates. Maybe you can ask the neighbor to get an estimate first so you can be prepared if the damages are that high.Of course, you can go ahead and call your insurance company and file the claim. Even if it has been a few days, they will process the claim. You can also explain that the other people have been out of town, but it should not be a problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption