Replacing electric wiring after house damaged by smoke and smoot

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Insurance Question from Philadelphia, PA

Asked on 01/03/2016

Replacing electric wiring after house damaged by smoke and smoot I had severe smoke and soot damage to my rowhouse due to a fire next door. The walls and ceilings have been remove exposing the old knob and tube electrical wiring. Is the insurance company responsible for paying for bringing the wiring up to code now that it is exposed?

Answer given on January 05, 2016

If you had a homeowner claim for smoke and soot damage, the insurance company will pay for the repairs required. If there was a code issue that arose from the claim, the insurance may cover a portion of or the entire cost to update the residence. However, this will only come to play if you have code update coverage under your policy. This is an additional amount of coverage, and usually is a percentage of the amount of insurance on the home itself. You can check your policy, or ask your agent or the insurance adjuster. The update will be covered only if the update is required by the inspectors for the town/city. It will also only pay for the amount of updating required. If the inspector wants only a part of the wiring updated, then that would be all that the insurance company would pay for. If an entire update is required, then the insurance company will pay for it, up to the limit of the policy. Even if not completely covered, it would be a good idea to make the update completely.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: These answers are for general information purposes only and are provided by the person answering and AS IS. It has not necessarily been reviewed by the management staff of nor is it binding any insurance agent, broker, or other insurance professional or any attorney or insurance company. Insurance laws, regulations and practices vary from state to state and insurance policies and practices differ from company to company, by type of policy, by state and locality and by type of insurance. Tiny variations in the facts, policy language or a detail not set forth in a question often can change the outcome or a professional's conclusion. Although has confirmed that the answer(s) was/were provided for the account of an experienced insurance professional, that professional may not be licensed in the state referred to in the question, and may not be experienced or up to date in the subject area. Unlike the answers provided here, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you consult a licensed insurance professional in your area or retain a licensed attorney listed on to represent you.

Free Insurance Quote Comparison

Enter your ZIP code below to compare cheap insurance rates.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption